Infection Control training for those in retail
COVID-19 has impacted infection control standards in a range of job roles across the economy.
This short course is for up-skilling individuals who require the skills and knowledge to decrease the risk of transmitting an infectious disease whilst carrying out retail service duties at work.
Who is this course for?
The Infection Control (Retail) skill set is for those working in customer facing retail jobs.
- National Code: HLTSS00065
- Participation: 6hrs + 2hrs of practical assessment
- Duration: Varies according to the participant and assessment location 2 to 8 days
- Delivery Mode: Online – self-paced, practical assessment by Zoom, Teams or video
- Government Funded Place Fee: $0 – participant must be working, and not have already have completed a funded infection control course
- Fee for Service Fee: $400 – if not eligible for a funded place
What you will learn
- Hand hygiene and care of hands
- Use of personal protective equipment
- Handling of waste
- Enforcing clean and contaminated zones
- Limitation of contamination
- Surface cleaning for infection control
- Identify infection hazards and assess risks
- Best practice virus and bacteria infection and control
- Where to find reliable and trustworthy information
- Minimising infection within a retail work environment
The HLTSS00065 Infection Control Skill Set (Retail) comprises of the HLTINFCOV001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures unit of competence and includes additional information specifically relevant to the retail environment.
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to follow organisational infection prevention and control procedures, including implementing standard and transmission-based precautions and responding to infection risks. The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State/Territory legislation, and industry codes of practice.
6 hours to complete this course, plus an additional 2 hours to complete the practical assessment. You will need access to a retail service workplace to complete some assessment tasks. The course duration may be impacted by your hours of work and your access to the workplace for assessment. Your employer must approve some assessment of your practical skills to be conducted within your workplace (via Zoom, TEAMS or other online meeting environment or video recording).
It will take one to two working days for your assessments to be graded and a certificate to be issued.
|Government Funded*||Full Fee|
*Eligibility conditions for a Federal Government Funded place – this funding may be accessed by anyone (including international students) who is working in a relevant environment and who has not already been funded to participate in infection control training.
This short course is offered fully online. You will require a computer and adequate internet access to successfully complete the course. To complete the assessment, you will require a mobile device or tablet with video function. Assessment of your practical skills will be completed in realtime Face to Face sessions via an online meeting software or you may submit a video recording of yourself as you complete the assessment tasks.
As a result of COVID-19, retail workers require skills to decrease transmission of infection while undertaking their daily duties. HLTSS00065 Infection Control (Retail) is for those with existing qualifications or be delivered as a stand-alone course for those currently in the workforce without a qualification.
Suggested workplaces include:
- Large and small businesses
- Rural, regional and metropolitan areas
- Stand-alone stores
- Strip shops
- Shops in shopping centres
- Cinemas and game arcades
- Convenience stores, including petrol stations
- Retail areas within beauty salons, hairdressing salons, barbers and sporting facilities including gyms
- Indoor/outdoor markets
- Museums and galleries
- Online retail – either having a relationship with a physical store or a warehouse