Infection Control training for those in food handling
COVID-19 has impacted infection control standards in a range of job roles across the economy.
This short course is for up-skilling individuals who require the skills and knowledge to decrease the risk of transmitting an infectious disease whilst carrying out food handling/customer service duties.
Who is this course for?
The Infection Control (Food Handling) Skill Set is for those working in customer facing food handling jobs.
- National Code: HLTSS00066
- Duration: 6hrs + 2hrs of practical assessment
- Delivery Mode: Online – self paced
- Fee for Service Fee: $400
What you will learn
- Hand hygiene and care of hands
- Use of personal protective equipment
- Handling of waste
- Enforcing clean and contaminated zones
- Limitation of contamination
- Surface cleaning for infection control
- Identify infection hazards and assess risks
- Best practice virus and bacteria infection and control
- Where to find reliable and trustworthy information
- Minimising infection within a food handling work environment
The HLTSS00066 Infection Control Skill Set (Food Handling) comprises of the HLTINFCOV001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures unit of competence and includes additional information specifically relevant to industries which include food handling in a customer service setting.
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to follow organisational infection prevention and control procedures, including implementing standard and transmission-based precautions and responding to infection risks. This unit applies to individuals working in health and direct client care contexts. The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State/Territory legislation, Australian/New Zealand standards and industry codes of practice.
6 hours to complete this course, plus an additional 2 hours to complete the practical assessment. You will need a workplace to complete some assessment tasks. Your employer must approve some online assessment of your practical skills to be conducted within your workplace (via Zoom, TEAMS or other online meeting environment).
The Fee for Service Fee is $400.
This short course is offered fully online. You will require a computer and adequate internet access to successfully complete the course. To complete the assessment, you will require a mobile device or tablet with video function. Assessment of your practical skills will be completed in realtime Face to Face sessions via an online meeting software or you may submit a video recording of yourself as you complete the assessment tasks.
HLTSS00066 Infection Control (Food Handling) Skill Set is for those with existing qualifications or be delivered as a stand-alone course for those currently in the workforce without a qualification.
Suggested workplaces include:
Large Business through to sole traders (1 employee to 1000’s)
- Large and small businesses
- Rural, regional and metropolitan areas
- Cafes and casual dining
- Fast food outlets
- Catering operations including in-flight catering and pre-packaged food
- Conference centres
- Meal delivery including commercial such as room service and home delivery and voluntary such as meals on wheels
- Education facilities, including schools, universities, VET provider campuses
- Aged care & disability facilities including residential aged care, group homes, etc.
- Mobile food/coffee carts, soup kitchens, etc.
- Sporting canteens
- Bars that incorporate food service
- Museums and galleries
- Performance venues such as theatres and arenas
- Cookery classes
- Correctional centres
- Online food delivery businesses