Having the chance to study abroad opens your world up to many great adventures and opportunities. If you are an International student who has been accepted into a college like Melbourne City Institute of Education, you will need to make sure you have the below items checked off your list while you get ready to come and study in Australia!


#1 Obtain Travel Insurance (other than OSHC)

We recommend Travel Insurance Direct for reliable travel insurance while you are away from home.


#2 Obtain a valid Student Visa

Students from some countries can apply online for their Student Visa. Others need to apply to an Australian diplomatic mission. Processing time varies from one week to three months so be sure to apply early. You will not be able to enter the country without a valid Student Visa.


#3 Organize airport pickup

You can either organise your own transport when you arrive or you can arrange for Melbourne City Institute of Education to pick you up from the airport. We MUST receive your request and payment at least 5 working days prior to your arrival or pickup cannot be guaranteed. Pickup is from Tullamarine airport only. You can check with your relevant contact at the college to organise accordingly.


#4 Organize your accommodation

You will need to book accommodation for at least the first 2 weeks after your arrival. There are many accommodation options available to International students. Speak with your contact at Melbourne City Institute of Education and they will help you with all the details. You can either arrange for homestay (staying at someones house), stay at a hostel or rent/share. Your contact at MCIE will be able to help you decide on the best option. You can find more information about accommodation options in the International Student Handbook.


#5 Check Australian customs regulations


#6 Make copies of all important documents to bring in your hand luggage

  • Letter of offer from Institute
  • Electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCOE)
  • Other formal identification
  • International driver’s license and/or drivers license from your home country


It is important that you have all these documents with you throughout your stay in Australia. We suggest that you put a second copy of each in your suitcase and leave a third copy at home with your family.

What Can I Study?

Melbourne City Institute of Education (MCIE) is a vibrant and innovative registered training organisation, which offers a range of courses in Melbourne to help students to fulfil their career goals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *