Do you want to work in a classroom? The CHC40213 Certificate IV in Education Support is the highest level teacher aide course for anyone seeking a career as an education support worker in an Australian school.
+ Teacher Aide
+ Education Support Staff
+ Education Assistant
+ School Age Care Assistant
+ Inclusion Support
+ Duration: 36 weeks
+ Work placement: 100hrs
Local students Yes
International students No
Is this funded?
This course does not qualify for Government Funding.
How can I study?
This course is available at the Melbourne CBD campus. Call us to discuss your study options.
An Education support worker works with children in pre-school or school environments:
- supporting children to develop social skills
- supporting activities to enhance the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of children
- setting up indoor and outdoor learning opportunities and activities
- supporting the academic studies of children with intellectual, physical and behavioural difficulties
- preparing printed materials required to support teaching
- supporting cultural awareness
- National Code: CHC40213
- Units: 17 units (12 core & 5 electives)
- Location: Level 9, 250 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000 & 3/1-9 Watton Street, Werribee, VIC, 3030
- Delivery Mode: Classroom
- Work placement: 100 hours
- Duration: 36 weeks (additional holidays of up to 6 weeks may be included)
- Assessment: Students must successfully complete all assessment activities including written assessment, scenario, roleplay, portfolio, workplace-based tasks and assessor observations.
- Prior experience: if you have previously worked in schools as an Early Childhood Educator, Tutor, Teacher’s Support or Teacher’s Aide or in a similar role, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning or Credit Transfer
- Enrolment Fee: This is a Fee for Service course
Government Funded: $220* ($44)
Full Fee: $6,000
Enrolment fees include textbooks, resource and Students ID charges. For more information click here. Fees may be subject to change before or during a student’s enrolment. For any further course costs, such as re-assessment fees, please refer to the Domestic Student Handbook.
A nationally recognised qualification in Education Support is about gaining the skills and knowledge to work in education environments supporting teachers with young students requiring additional support. You could become…
- Teacher Aide in schools, preschools/kindergartens
- Education Support staff
- Education Assistant (special needs, language/literacy, cultural support)
- School Age Care Assistant Educator (vacation care, OSHC, Kindergarten)
- Inclusion Support
- Special School Teacher Aide
- SSO or School Support Officer
- Education Support Worker
- Learning Support Officer or Classroom Assistant
There are no formal pre-requisites for this course.
Students must complete a Pre-Training Review, meet the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skill standards for Certificate IV level study and demonstrate that they are a suitable candidate for this course.
Age at Commencement
It is recommended that students have attained the age of 18 by the course commencement date.
MCIE welcomes people with disabilities to apply. Approval will be subject to the person being able to undertake all tasks and requirements of the course.
All participants require a Unique Student Identification (USI) number. If you do not have a USI number you can apply for one online at https://www.usi.gov.au/students or you can give MCIE’s admin staff permission to apply on your behalf.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) are available.
- MCIE Work-placement Officers will facilitate the work placement for students into an education environment.
- It is a requirement that students obtain the following prior to commencing practical placement.
- Working with Children Check (minimum level required ‘voluntary’ which is at no cost)
Students must have a Working with Children Check and in some workplaces may require a Police Check, to be accepted into work placement for this qualification.
Successful completion of this course requires students to complete 17 units of competency in total (14 core units plus 5 elective units). The course is delivered over 36 weeks with 7.5 class hours per week plus 100 hours work placement.
CHCECE006 Support behaviour of children and young people
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCEDS001 Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
CHCEDS021 Assist in facilitation of student learning
CHCEDS022 Work with students in need of additional support
CHCEDS024 Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education
CHCEDS025 Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
CHCEDS032 Support learning and implementation of responsible behaviour
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
CHCEDS019 Support students’ mathematics learning
CHCEDS020 Support students’ literacy learning
CHCEDS026 Deliver elements of teaching and learning programs
CHCEDS031 Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder
CHCDIS009 Facilitate ongoing skills development using a person-centred approach
This is Nationally Recognised Training,
leading to Australian Qualififcations
Framework (AQF) qualification or a
Statement of Attainment.
Fantastic course to work in a classroom
This course is really great with awesome teachers!