Do you want to teach English overseas? TESOL is a highly transferable qualification, accepted by education providers in Australia and around the world.
+ Private Tutor
+ Overseas English Teacher
+ Duration: 26 weeks + 5 weeks summer holiday
+ Work placement: 12 hours
Local students Yes
International students No
Is this funded?
Yes - Government funding (including JobTrainer) is available to eligible students. Please contact us to see if you qualify.
How can I study?
This course is available on campus in Melbourne CBD or Werribee and virtually. Call us to discuss your study options.
Do you want to travel the world and teach English?
The NEAS endorsed & nationally accredited Certificate IV in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) course prepares you with the practical skills and knowledge to teach English. The Certificate IV in TESOL opens doors to a wide range of jobs both in the domestic and international English teaching markets.
- National Code: 10695NAT
- Units: 10 units (9 core & 1 elective)
- Location: Level 9, 250 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Delivery Method: The program includes self-paced learning, lectures and class practicums to support course outcomes. This classroom-based course is delivered by outstanding, highly experienced and qualified teachers.
- Work Placement: There is a requirement for students to successfully complete 12-hours of work-based practicum in this course.
- Duration: 26 weeks + 5 weeks summer holiday
- Assessment: Written, and classroom practicums – Students must successfully complete all assessment activities in their workbooks and 12 hours teaching practicum to meet the requirements of this course.
- Prior experience: Applicants may apply for Credit Transfer or Recognition of Prior learning please see our website for details. Conditions apply for RPL, read more here.
Students must have access to a computer or laptop to complete the course.
With an Australian Bachelor’s degree in any field, Certificate IV TESOL graduates could gain employment at the following institutions:
- private English language colleges
- community and migrant centres
- universities that offer ELICOS programs
Students who hold this qualification only, could have employment opportunities…
- in private tutoring, or
- paid work overseas
MCIE advises students to contact individual institutions for information regarding the qualification requirements for their TESOL teachers.
Government Funded: $500
Concession(for Health Care Card Pensioners & ATSI): $100
Full fee: $4,499 (Plus $500 enrolment fee)
Materials Fee: N/A
Recognition of Prior Learning: $145 per hour
Credit Transfer: No Charge
Student loans and payment plans are available
Students must complete a Pre-Training Review, meet the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skill standards for Certificate IV level study and demonstrate that they are a suitable candidate for this course. You may be also asked to undertake a pre-enrolment task to further assess your suitability for this course.
Age at Commencement
It is recommended that students have attained the age of 18 by the course commencement date.
MCIE welcomes people with disabilities to apply. Approval will be subject to the person being able to undertake all tasks and requirements of the course.
Evidence of Australian citizenship or permanent residency is required. All participants require a Unique Student Identification (USI) number. If you do not have a USI number you can apply for one online at https://www.usi.gov.au/students or you can give MCIE’s admin staff permission to apply on your behalf.
This course requires students to successfully complete 10 units in total (nine core units plus one elective unit). The course is delivered over 26 weeks, six hours face-to-face and approximately eight hours of self-paced study per week.
TESCIE001 Create a culturally inclusive learning environment
TESGAE001 Use the genre approach to teach English
TESTEG001 Teach English grammar
TESTSP001 Teach spelling and pronunciation
TESTSE001 Teach speaking
TESTLE001 Teach listening
TESTRE001 Teach reading
TESTWE001 Teach writing
TESDRF001 Develop resource files
TESCBC001 Establish community based English classes
This is Nationally Recognised Training,
leading to Australian Qualifications
Framework (AQF) qualification or a
Statement of Attainment.
Best TESOL Training in Australia!!
I am so happy with MCIE, my course was such a good experience! I am now qualified to teach English. Highly recommend.
I LOVED studying TESOL !!
What a fun course with awesome teachers – highly recommend !!