Take your hospitality career to the next level with a Diploma of Hospitality in Melbourne.
+ Restaurant Manager
+ Sous Chef
+ Chef de Partie
+ Motel Manager
+ Duration: 78 weeks
+ Work placement: 52 hrs
Local students Yes
International students No
Is this funded?
Yes - Government funding is available to eligible students. Please contact us to see if you qualify.
How can I study?
You can study this course on campus in our Melbourne Commercial Kitchen or as an Apprenticeship. Contact us for more.
Do you want to study Diploma of Hospitality Management in Melbourne? This qualification reflects the role of individuals who use sound knowledge of industry operations and a broad range of managerial skills to coordinate hospitality operations. They operate independently, have responsibility for others and make a range of operational business decisions.
- National Code: SIT50416
- Units: 13 core & 15 elective units
- Location: Multiple
- Delivery Mode: This qualification is delivered through a blend of formal face to face classes at MCIE campus and/or training kitchen, self-paced and workplace delivery. Students are expected to complete the qualification in 2 years. Contact on a monthly basis is the minimum requirement depending on blend.
- Assessment: Oral and Written tasks and simulated or workplace practical observations.
- Duration: 78 weeks (including 18 weeks holidays)
- Prior experience: RPL & Credit Transfer is available
You could become…
- Restaurant Manager
- Kitchen Manager
- Sous Chef
- Motel Manager
- Chef Patissier
- Banquet Manager
- Unit Manager
Enrolment fees include textbooks, resource and Students ID charges.
An English Language proficiency level of one of the below:
- IELTS band score of 5.5 or equivalent internationally recognised exam result in line with DHA regulations or;
- satisfactorily completing ELICOS at Upper Intermediate level from a NEAS endorsed English Training Centre or;
- completion of secondary studies equivalent or higher to an Australian Year 12 qualification from an
English-speaking country or;
- completion of MCIE English Placement Test with an overall score of 6 or above;
- other tests like PTE, TOEFL and OET are also considered equivalent for direct entry into MCIE VET courses.
Other entry requirements include:
Academic: Completion of senior high school or equivalent to the Australian Year 12 of education
Regulatory: A current and valid passport, A valid study visa that covers the duration of study for the course
Age at Commencement: MCIE will not accept overseas students who would be under 18 years of age at the time of proposed commencement
Special Consideration: Students who have completed one year of study in Australia (Cert III, AQF Qualification or above) are exempt from submitting Year 12 qual or equivalent + IELTS results
There are no pre-requisites for this qualification.
Students undertaking the Hospitality – Cookery programs will be required to handle and cook a variety of meat, poultry and seafood as part of their course. This includes but is not limited to, meat such as lamb, beef, port, kangaroo, etc, poultry such as chicken, duck, turkey, quail, etc., seafood including a variety of fish and shellfish. Some dishes may also require the inclusion of wine, spirits or liqueurs.
BSBDIV501 Manage diversity in the workplace
BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
SITXCCS007 Enhance customer service experiences
SITXCCS008 Develop and manage quality customer service practices
SITXCOM005 Manage conflict
SITXFIN003 Manage finances within a budget
SITXFIN004 Prepare and monitor budgets
SITXGLC001 Research and comply with regulatory requirements
SITXHRM002 Roster staff
SITXHRM003 Lead and manage people
SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations
SITXMGT002 Establish and conduct business relationships
SITXWHS003 Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment
SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads
SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
SITHCCC011 Use cookery skills effectively
SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes
SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes
SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes
SITHCCC018 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook
SITHKOP002 Plan and cost basic menus
SITHASC008 Prepare Asian cooked dishes
SITHPAT006 Produce desserts
This is Nationally Recognised Training,
leading to Australian Qualifications
Framework (AQF) qualification or a
Statement of Attainment.
Loved the Diploma course with MCIE!
MCIE is an award winning college for a reason! The Chefs are so experienced and amazing to work with. I loved studying the Diploma of Hospitality!