Prepare for an eligibility assessment


1. Check your eligibility

Use our eligibility checker to get an indication of your eligibility for government-subsidised training.

2. Get your documents ready

To assess your eligibility for government-subsidised training your training provider will need some information about you.

Proof of identity

You’ll need to provide proof of your identity (originals or certified photocopies) that shows:

Evidence of citizenship

Acceptable documents are one of the following:

  • An Australian Birth Certificate (not a Birth Extract)
  • A current Australian Passport
  • A current New Zealand Passport
  • A naturalisation certificate
  • A current green Medicare Card

Evidence of residency (if not a citizen)

Acceptable documents are one of the following:

  • A current green Medicare Card
  • Formal documentation issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection confirming permanent residence

Evidence of date of birth (if relevant):

If the citizenship or residency documents listed above do not include a date of birth, acceptable documents are one of the following:

  • a current drivers licence
  • a current learners permit
  • a Proof of Age card
  • a ‘Keypass’ card

Education history

You’ll also need to provide information about your education history including:

  • The full title of the highest qualification you have completed, e.g. Certificate III in Aged Care
  • Information about any government-subsidised training you are currently doing
  • Information about any government-subsidised training you have ever started
  • Your Unique Student Identifier (USI). To create or find your USI go to the Australian Government’s USI website .


3. Ask your training provider to assess your eligibility

When enrolling, ask your training to assess your eligibility for a Victorian government-subsidy.