In 2023, the state of Victoria in Australia is offering fee-free TAFE and VET places for students who want to study with a RTO (Registered Training Organisation). This means that eligible students will not have to pay tuition fees for their chosen TAFE or VET course.
This initiative is part of the Victoria government’s efforts to make education and training more accessible and affordable for all Victorians. It is aimed at encouraging more people to pursue vocational education and training, and to help them gain the skills and qualifications they need to succeed in the workforce.
To be eligible for the fee-free TAFE and VET places, students must be:
- an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident (including humanitarian entrants), or a temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency
- no longer at school
- not currently enrolled in training
Students from the following priority groups are strongly encouraged to apply:
- First Nations Australians
- young people aged 17-24
- people out of work or receiving income support
- unpaid carers
- women facing economic insecurity
- women undertaking study in non-traditional fields
- people with disability