Don’t have the same boring ol’ year all over again…
If you’ve had the same job, same housing, same debts, same pay, same issues and same sponge for goodness sake, for the last couple of years, things really, really need to change. Here’s how to plan for success in 2014, and get it.
- Determine what you want to achieve this year. You need a clear objective before you start trying to achieve your goal. If you’re vague about what you want to accomplish, chances are your ambitions will fall by the way side.
- Is what you want to achieve possible? While we’ve been told ‘anything is possible’ our whole lives, there are just some things that just won’t work. Things such as doing full time study while working five days a week and solely supporting yourself is just not going to work out.
- Write it down. Nothing is concrete until you write it on paper. We’ve all been there when a great idea has slipped from our grasp because we didn’t scribble it on a post-it, or when we completely forgot to note that we had that incredibly important presentation on Monday. Spare yourself that moment where you want to slap yourself in the face and write it down! After you’ve put pen to paper, place your resolution somewhere where you’ll constantly see it, for example, if you want a promotion at work, stick in on your computer screen.
- Map out a plan on how you’re going to accomplish success, step by step. If you want to go on a smooth holiday without finding yourself having to sleep in a roach infested motel, buy a whole new set of climate appropriate clothes and not be stranded at the back of beyond, you need a thorough plan. Get that pen and paper out again, but this time do some in depth brainstorming before writing out your map to fulfilment.
- Put your money where your mouth is and put your plan into action. It can be nerve racking when something you’ve imagined and obsessed has come to a head, but if you don’t put yourself in a risky and trying situations, chances are you’ll find yourself next January 1st crying into your post-it notes.
Get that tingly “This year is going to be awesome!” feeling yet? Quick, get that pen and notepad!