If you’re a planning on studying in Australia any time soon you probably know about Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). In Australia, it is a requirement for you to have OSHC for when you arrive. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires you to maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

OSHC is actually a private health insurance that refunds you money spent on hospital stay and medical expenses. You can choose between an individual OSHC, which coves only your expenses, and a family OSHC – in case you’re traveling with other members of your family listed on your visa. With OSHC, international students are covered for doctors’ appointments, certain hospital treatments, certain medications as well as ambulance in case of an emergency.



Depending on the type of OSHC needed (single, family, couples) the costs can vary from about $150 to $2000 per year.


Where do you get OSHC?

To find the right OSHC provider for you, you can speak with us at MCIE. Alternatively you can contact the below companies directly.


How does it work?

Once you make a doctor’s appointment, you should take your card with you and show your student ID. You’ll pay the full price and then you will be given the refund either straight away, or later by your OSHC provider. Just make sure you keep the receipt. Students from Belgium and Norway, Sweden, however, are exempt from having an OSHC because their reciprocal government health agreements between the countries.


Melbourne City Institute of Education (MCIE) is a vibrant and innovative registered training organisation, which offers a range of courses in Melbourne to help students to fulfil their career goals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *